yarnwench (yarnwench) wrote,

Catching up

I'm slipping! I managed to let a month go by without a post. A quick recap of my month:

I'm continuing to do yoga daily, 30 to 50 minutes each afternoon.Once or twice a week I'm lifting 5 pound weights to a 15 minute online video.In addition, I've been cutting back on carbs and meat, upping the veggies, limiting sugar, and trying (but not always succeeding) in cutting beer consumption down to one a week. I'm losing pounds, inches, and gaining flexibility and strength. I think I've finally found what works for me. I don't have to spend any money or leave the house to do my yoga practice and I'm feeling amazing!

I went to York recently to visit my mom in the nursing home and to stay overnight with my brother and his wife. My mom was celebrating her 87th birthday and everytime we mentioned it to her it was news! I don't know how many times she said, "What? It's my birthday?"  She was in a very good humor, which was good to see. I never know what to expect. I've just learned to go with the flow when it comes to interacting with her. She still thinks my dad is alive (he died in 2009) and I've found that it's best to go along with her version and humor her and then divert the subject. Anyway, it was a very nice visit though every time I leave I wonder if it is the last time I'll see her.

I had a good visit with my brother and sister-in-law and got to meet their two new cats. They lost three elderly cats in the course of a year, which was very hard on them and it was nice to see these two three-year-old female siblings settling into the family.

I also got together for breakfast with a friend that I'd not seen in 36 years. Sheldon went to highschool and college with me and we were both fine art majors so had a number of classes together over the years. He went on to get his MFA in sculpture. He ended up in York 28 years ago after several career moves as a sculptor. He had no idea I'd spent 6 years of my childhood there and the internet helped us connect again about a decade ago. It was great to see him in person - our two hours together flew by as we caught up on things and it didn't feel as though 36 years had gotten in the way. I love when you can pick right up with someone after such a long time.

I was only gone overnight on my trip to York and came back on a Wednesday afternoon. On Thursday my dear old cat Zip, whom I've had since 1999, told me in no uncertain terms that it was time to go. He suffered some kind of neurologic event. I had been nursing him along since spring when he developed problems with walking and was diagnosed with severe arthritis. During the summer I watched him lose muscle and grow gaunt and bony, even though his appetite was fairly good. He remained his loving and devoted self and I began to question how one decides end of life for an elderly pet.I'd been discussing it with my brother since they'd had lots of geriatric cat experience and he said, "He'll let you know."  I'd been wishing for some direct signal for months now. I'm so grateful I was back from my overnighter and was there for Zip when he finally made it known that he was ready to go. I took him to the vets and they offered heroic measures but fully supported my decision. Kevin managed to get home from work and we were with him as he made the peaceful journey. I don't think I've ever adored or been adored by a cat the way I was by him. He was my Buddy Boy. The past ten days have been tough as Kevin and I come to grips with the fact that he's no longer with us. We're both hearing and seeing him in all the old places and I'm missing that warm presence on my lap.

Oh Life. You're all about the relationships, the connections, the love, the reconnecting, and the letting go.
  • Post a new comment


    default userpic
    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.
Goodby, dear Zip. Rest in peace. I'm so sorry.

That's a lovely picture of the two of you; so much love there.

It's so hard to lose a furry friend. {{{hugs}}}
Thanks G. It sure is hard! He was such a character and always by my side. I'm having a bit of trouble getting used to this. We will probably adopt two young (but not kittens) siblings but it will be quite a while before I feel ready.
I know exactly how you feel. It took an entire 12 months after I lost Cleo before I felt ready for another cat. Ignore the well-meaning souls who will push you to adopt before you are ready - they don't get it. Grieving takes time.

Like you, I planned to get a pair of siblings, or perhaps a bonded older pair from a shelter (because they would be hard to place together and the thought of them being separated breaks my heart). Of course, life intervened and I ended up with my nephew's cat instead, not that I'm complaining. ;)